Here are some selected highlights of my CV. For a full copy, please email me.
Editorial and publishing
- I have worked a a freelance editorial professional since 2006. In this time, I have worked for publishing giants (e.g. Routledge, Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press); NGOs and think tanks (e.g. Amnesty International, RESULTS UK, The FrameWorks Institute); public bodies (e.g. Centre for Public Scrutiny); universities (e.g. LSE, Cardiff, Birmingham), independent publishers (e.g. Hammer-On Press) and numerous individual academics and postgraduates.
- In 2006-7, I worked in-house at the University of Wales Press as a Production and Editorial Assistant. Working across the production and editorial teams gave me an excellent insight into all aspects of the publishing process, from commissioning to final product, as well as the nature of academic publishing. I received copyediting and proofreading training from The Publishing Training House, proofread and copy-edited books for the Press and managed a database of freelance editorial staff.
- From 2008 to 2015, I worked for nonprofit organisations in the third sector in the UK. Working in strategic policy, research, campaigns and communications roles, I predominantly focused on gender equality, violence against women and human rights.
- I have worked with international NGOs and local social justice organisations, including Amnesty International, Oxfam, Welsh Women’s Aid, the Wales Violence Against Women Action Group, Abortion Support Network, People’s Assembly and many others.
- I was responsible for producing a huge range of written documents, in extremely tight timescales, for audiences ranging from policymakers to the general public. This included policy and research reports, legislation recommendations, press releases, campaign documents, organisational reports, parliamentary briefings, social media, web copy and more.
- I bring this experience with me to my freelance work for nonprofits, and am proud to offer a discount for smaller charities and social justice organisations.
- 2014: received a prestigious full scholarship from the Economic and Social Research Council to undertake a PhD in Social Policy at the University of Bristol.
- 2014: MSc in Gender Studies (Research Methods), University of Leeds. Pass with Distinction. Awarded the School Excellence Prize for the School of Sociology and Social Policy.
- 2006: BA English Literature and Cultural Criticism, Cardiff University, 2:1.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- I received my initial training in copy-editing and proofreading with UK industry leaders the Publishing Training Centre.
- I regularly take courses to develop my skills as part of my commitment to continuing professional development.
- I am a Professional Member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP), which sets the standards for the profession in the UK.
Contact me to find out how my experience can enhance your project.